Great Garden Tips: October Checklist 2022
- Northern gardeners should plant their last perennials and shrubs for the season. To see our tips on planting in the fall, read our guide.
- Divide and transplant your spring-blooming perennials.
- Southern gardeners should start to bring their houseplants indoors.
- Enjoy the colorful fall foliage. Mark in your garden journal which colors are most prominent, and consider adding more shrubs to round out your fall color scheme.
- Keep your evergreens well-watered until the ground freezes. It’s normal to see some browning, even in the middle of evergreens like arborvitae and other conifers. Don’t let that scare you into overwatering them!
- Rake the leaves on your lawn for your compost pile, or use them as mulch for your beds.
- Add extra support for climbing vines that are exposed to strong October winds.
- First frosts are approaching, so check the weather to learn when to cover your cold-sensitive plants.
- Plant tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and other spring-blooming bulbs near the end of the month.