Great Garden Tips: December Checklist 2022
- Wrap your arborvitae and other cold-sensitive evergreens with tree wrap or burlap to protect them from winter burn in cold climates.
- Cut branches from your arborvitae, juniper, red-twig dogwood, or holly to enjoy indoors.
- Reminisce on your garden this year. What did you love or hope to improve on in your garden?
- Look after the birds by leaving the seed heads on your perennials and shrubs.
- Protect your plants by adding another thick layer of mulch for the winter.
- Deer are a year-round problem, but damage can worsen in winter months. Add a layer of burlap, chicken wire, or liquid repellent to your perennials and shrubs.
- Provide extra support for some evergreen shrubs to avoid breakage in strong winds or heavy snow.
- Similar to the garden, your houseplants are going dormant too! Avoid fertilizing or overwatering them as they rest for winter. Consider moving some away from cold windows.
- Watch the birds as they enjoy winter berries on junipers, holly, viburnum, cotoneaster, coralberry, and more!